20071103

Upgrading to Gnome 2.20 with Gentoo

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would post my experiences upgrading to Gnome-2.20 on my Gentoo box. In general, the upgrade was painless, but there were a few pitfalls that can be easily avoided.

This post was originally written on November 3rd, 2007, and most of the Gnome-2.20 packages were marked ~x86.

  1. Add these entries to /etc/portage/package.keywords.
    [ Updated: 2007-11-14 ]
    [ Updated: 2007-11-16 ]
  2. Due to bug #196621, you will need to edit your yelp use flags in /etc/portage/package.use
    gnome-extra/yelp -debug
  3. emerge -avD '>=gnome-2.20'
Ta-da!

[ Update: 2007-11-16 ]
Note: After performing the initial upgrade, then performing an emerge --sync at a later date, some of the package versions may have disappeared. Since all packages in the above file use absolute package versions, another attempt to do an emerge -D --with-bdeps y '>=gnome-base/gnome-2.20' could result in slot-version collisions within emerge (see bug #199359).

Lastly, I'm not sure if this will be the case for everyone, but I had to re-emerge gok, notification-daemon, gnome-applets, and gnome-python-desktop because gnome-applets was emerged in improper order, pulling in a previous gnome library. You can verify this by running revdep-rebuild -pv before re-emerging these packages.

emerge -av1 gok notification-daemon gnome-applets gnome-python-desktop

Currently, I'm not using the binary ATI drivers (ati-drivers-8.42.3), but I'll test it out and see if there are any conflicts.

Unfortunately, I would also like to upgrade to >=xorg-x11-7.3 / >=xorg-server-1.4, but ATI's current drivers for x86 will not work with >=xorg-server-1.4. Since I'm only using the open source radeon driver at the moment, I'll give that a shot before I test out ati-drivers-8.42.3.

Happy Gnome-ing :)

No comments: